The WinkBeds mattress is a newcomer to the available online mattress options, but so far, it has developed a reputation as a well-constructed mattress that combines the benefits of innerspring coils and foam.
Some of the key strengths of the WinkBed include
- Coil-on-coil design: by using two different sets of coils to provide a base of support, the WinkBed offers a level of support and tailored bounce that would be much more expensive in traditional mattress stores.
- Strong edge support: the innerspring coils are buttressed by dense support foam, which contributes to considerable edge support. This is especially important for people who regularly find themselves sleeping or sitting on the edge of the mattress.
Potential drawbacks for the WinkBed mattress include
- Limited track record: the company has only been in business in 2015 and does not have extensive experience in mattress production. Only time will tell how these mattresses perform over the long-term and whether the company meets lofty expectations for customer service.
- Less contouring: an innerspring-based mattress with only a thin foam comfort layer typically will not provide the extensive hug or contouring found with a memory foam mattress. For sleepers looking for that particular feel, the WinkBed may not be the right choice.
WinkBeds has one mattress model that is offered in 7 different sizes. Prices for each size are listed below.
|Mattress Size||Standard Price|
About the WinkBed
WinkBed Mattress Specifications
Unlike many companies in the mattress industry, WinkBed publishes detailed information about their mattress specifications. The WinkBed is a hybrid mattress, which includes both innerspring coils and foam in its 6 layers that are covered by Tencel fabric:
- The bottom layer is 2” of 1.5 pounds per cubic foot (PCF) and 28 indentation-load deflection (ILD) foam. This is support foam designed to improve edge support.
- The second layer is individually-wrapped pocket coils. A queen mattress has 858 coils in this layer.
- The third layer is a cotton pad intended to improve lumbar support.
- The fourth layer is 2.4” of additional innerspring coils. This layer has 1353 coils in this layer.
- The fifth layer is 1” of gel-infused foam of 1.5 PCF and 17 ILD.
- The sixth and top comfort layer is 1” of softer foam of 1.5 PCF and 17 ILD.
Where It’s Made
WinkBeds manufactures their mattresses in the USA in the company’s factory in Wisconsin.
Sleep Trial / Refunds
The WinkBed comes with a 101 night sleep trial. During the sleep trial, you can return the mattress and receive a full refund; however, the company asks that you keep the mattress for an initial 30 day try-out period. If you choose to return the mattress, WinkBeds arranges for pickup and removal of the mattress.
If you choose to exchange the mattress for one that is customized to be slightly more or less firm, you can do so for $49.99, which covers shipping of the new mattress and removing the original mattress.
An exception to this return policy may exist for mattresses purchased through Amazon. Some mattresses purchased through Amazon have a 30 day return window, so it is important to check with WinkBeds if you choose to purchase through Amazon.
After ordering, the WinkBed is delivered within 7-14 days. There is no charge for delivery within the continental U.S. This includes delivery of the mattress to your front door, but it does not include any setup or installation.
WinkBeds also offers a white glove delivery option for $99. This option includes delivery into your bedroom, unboxing, and installation.
If you choose the white glove delivery option, WinkBeds will also haul away your old mattress for an additional $50, for a total of $149.
The WinkBed comes with a 10-year warranty during which the company will replace or repair the mattress if there are any defects covered by the warranty. The specific warranty terms and coverages are not listed on the WinkBeds website but can be obtained by contacting the company directly.
WinkBeds was founded and starting shipping mattresses in 2015. Because of how young this company is, it is difficult to meaningfully assess their track record or reputation for customer service. Although WinkBeds does not have a record listed with the Better Business Bureau, early reports about their customer service have been positive.
The WinkBeds mattress has impressed many customers and reviewers with its hybrid design and construction.
Coil-on-coil construction with quality materials is a recipe for strong support in a mattress, and the addition of additional foam comfort layers helps make this mattress a solid choice for most sleepers. WinkBeds also add higher-density support foam to improve edge support.
Because WinkBeds are so new to the market, we can’t say yet how durable they truly are. However, the company reports that its internal testing has found their particular design to hold up extremely well after simulating over 10 years of regular use.
In general, WinkBeds offers only one level of firmness, which falls around a 6 on the typical firmness scale. Most customer reviews have found the WinkBed to be comfortable in most sleeping positions.
Because there is only one primary firmness option, people who want a very plush or extremely firm mattress will probably not be satisfied with the WInkBed. That said, since WinkBeds builds each mattress by hand, they can make minor modifications to your mattress to make it slightly more or less firm. You can contact the company to learn more about this option.
Early reports indicate that the WinkBeds mattress performs well when it comes to motion isolation. It is important to remember, though, that virtually no innerspring mattress will have as much motion isolation as a memory foam mattress.
This mattress has only thin memory foam layers and does not come compressed like memory foam mattresses. As a result, there have not been reports of any significant offgassing.
Because sleepers do not sink as deeply into the WinkBed, it is less likely to cause any problems with sleeping hot. In addition, one of the top comfort layers is gel-infused memory foam, which some — but not all — sleepers find to keep them cooler.
Innerspring mattresses offer plenty of support and bounce, and as a result, the WinkBed mattress should not create any obstacles for sexual activity.
The table below provides a comparison of some mattresses with similarities to the WinkBed in terms of construction and feel.
|Brand||Mattress Type||Support Layer||Comfort Layer||Price (Queen)||Where to Buy|
|WinkBed||Hybrid||Pocketed coils||Coils + Foam||$1,299||Online + 1 showroom|
|GhostBed||Latex Hybrid||Foam||Memory Foam + Latex||$795||Online only|
|Casper||Foam||Foam||Memory Foam + Poly foam||$950||Online + some retail|
|Saatva||Innerspring||Hourglass coils||Coils + Foam||$999||Online only|
|Leesa||Foam||Foam||Avena Foam||$940||Online only|
For more information about the WinkBeds company and technology, you can check out the following articles: