Casper initially launched in 2014 and is probably the best-known of the direct-to-consumer foam mattress companies. While the company started with just one mattress offering, in the summer of 2017, they launched two new mattresses, including the Casper Wave. The Casper Wave features new technology and internal components developed by the team at Casper.
Some of the key strengths of the Casper Wave mattress include:
- Sensitive contouring to pressure points: the Casper Wave is built using a system that Casper calls its Natural Geometry System. This is designed to provide variable levels of support and contouring based on different parts of the body. For example, this system is designed to provide additional support to the shoulders and hips.
- Free white glove delivery: this is the only Casper mattress that has white glove delivery included in the cost. This can be a major selling point for people who want to avoid having to lift, unbox, or setup a bed-in-a-box.
Potential drawbacks for the Casper Wave mattress include:
- Only one firmness option: the Wave is only available in one firmness level, which is medium-firm (5-6 on the typical 1-10 scale). Customers who want an extra plush or extra firm mattress are thus unlikely to be well-suited to the Casper Wave.
- Limited track record: Casper only launched the wave in the summer of 2017, so there is a lack of detailed information about how the mattress is performing in the real world. Many customers may still seek out this mattress given its innovative materials and given Casper’s record in the industry, but hard data about this specific model is hard to come by.
Casper Wave Mattress Pricing
The Casper Wave is offered in 6 different sizes. Prices for each size are listed below.
|Mattress Size||Standard Price|
About the Casper Wave Mattress
Casper Wave Mattress Specifications
The Casper Wave mattress is built with five layers.
- The top layer is 1” of a foam that Casper developed and has called Flo foam. This foam includes an elastic polymer that offers both a very soft and resilient feel.
- The second layer is 1.5” of latex foam.
- The third layer is 1.5” of memory foam.
- The fourth layer is 1.5” of transition foam.
- The bottom layer is 5.5” of support foam.
Casper does not publish the density or other specifications for these foam layers. The company lists this as proprietary information, and as such, we are unable to state definitively the density or ILD of these foams. This can make it harder to comparison shop or to truly understand the composition of the mattress.
Where It’s Made
The Casper Wave mattress is manufactured in the USA.
Where to Buy
The Casper Wave is currently only available through the Casper website.
Sleep Trial / Refunds
The Casper Wave mattress comes with a 100 night sleep trial. If you aren’t satisfied with the mattress, you have up to 100 nights to get a full refund. If you decide to return the mattress, Casper arranges to have it picked up and donated or recycled.
The Casper Wave comes with free white glove delivery. As part of this service, the company will deliver the mattress and set it up in the room of your choice. A service is also available to haul away your old mattress.
The Casper Wave is usually delivered within 2-5 business days after you order
The Casper mattresses comes with a 10-year warranty. During this time, the company will replace or repair your mattress if there are any defects in craftsmanship. Transportation and/or shipping costs associated with warranty repair or replacement is not covered under this warranty. You can find the full warranty terms at https://casper.com/warranty.
Casper has a strong reputation for customer service. As a pioneer in the direct-to-consumer mattress industry, Casper has been very visible and has dealt with perhaps more customers than any other company. Casper has an A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau.
The Casper Wave mattress is still very new to the market and does not have an extensive record of reviews from verified customers or independent testers. However, indications are that the company’s newest design offers a unique blend of softness and support that many customers are likely to enjoy.
The Casper Wave combines several different types of foam in order to provide a high degree of support to any individual sleeper. The Natural Geometry System, highlighted by the Flo foam in the top layer, adjusts its compression based on the amount of pressure that is applied. This is further tailored to try to match how pressure points are typically distributed across the body.
Because the Casper Wave mattress has not been on the market for long, there is no data about its durability over the longer term. As the company does not disclose the density of the foams that are used in the mattress, we are also limited in knowing whether the Wave is built with materials that are more or less likely to hold up over years of use.
In general, though, Casper mattresses have performed at or above average in terms of durability for the industry, which leads us to believe that the Casper Wave will also likely stand up well over time.
The Casper Wave is only available in one firmness option, which falls as a 5-6 on the typical firmness scale. For people who prefer a more plush or more firm feel, the Casper probably isn’t the right fit, but this mid-level firmness tends to be comfortable for sleepers in most sleeping positions.
The Casper Wave uses types of highly-responsive foams that tend to isolate motion well. The top layer of foam is designed with more resilience, which can sometimes increase motion transfer, but most customers who are not extremely motion sensitive are unlikely to have serious issues with disruption from motion on the Casper Wave.
Like most foam mattresses, some new mattress smell can be expected right after the Casper is delivered. Any smell, however, is not harmful and typically goes away within a few hours.
This mattress from Casper is designed to hug the body enough to provide support but at the same time to have enough resilience and firmness to prevent sinking deeply into the mattress. As a result, sleeping hot should not be an issue for the great majority of people on this mattress.
The Flo foam in the top layer of the Casper Wave has a softer and more responsive feel, but the higher resilience should prevent the feeling of being stuck in the mattress. Because of this, it is unlikely to pose serious barriers to intimacy. Despite this, shoppers who are looking for a mattress that is optimal for sex may prefer a latex mattress that has more pronounced bounce.
The table below provides a comparison of some mattresses with similarities to the Casper Wave mattress in terms of construction and feel.
|Brand||Mattress Type||Support Layer||Comfort Layer||Price (Queen)||Where to Buy|
|Casper Wave||Latex Hybrid||Foam||Flo foam + Latex||$1,850||Online + some retail|
|Leesa||Foam||Foam||Avena Foam||$940||Online + 1 showroom|
|GhostBed||Latex Hybrid||Foam||Memory Foam + Latex||$795||Online only|
|Saatva||Innerspring||Hourglass coils||Coils + Foam||$999||Online only|
|Purple||Foam||Foam||Hyper-Elastic Polymer||$999||Online only|