Unless you’ve been living under a rock for the last few years, you know that more and more online shopping is taking place on Amazon.com. Through the expansion of its Amazon Prime service and with more products available through third party sellers, Amazon has become a go-to for products of all kinds.
Mattresses have been no exception to this trend. As online mattress retailers have built up their presence recently, more and more have also started selling through Amazon. To get a better understanding of what to look for and tips on shopping for a mattress on Amazon, read our guide below. For the quick version, see our recommendations on the best mattresses on Amazon:
Top Mattresses on Amazon
In this section, we’ll outline our choices for the best mattresses on Amazon. We have at least one choice for each type of mattress, and in some cases, we’ve listed a budget or upgrade pick for your consideration as well.
Budget Pick: Tuft & Needle
The Tuft and Needle mattress is our budget choice for the best foam mattress on Amazon.
- Why? The company’s mattress has been on the market for over 5 years and during this time, they’ve developed a reputation as a quality brand with excellent customer service.
- Why not? This mattress is only available in one firmness choice and tends to be perceived as slightly more firm. In addition, the foam density leaves a bit to be desired for an all-foam mattress.
- The Bottom Line: Though this isn’t a perfect mattress, at its price point, it represents an excellent value and is a solid choice for anyone looking for a quality mattress that won’t bust their budget.
Buy the Tuft & Needle on Amazon.
Upgrade Pick: Novosbed
The Novosbed is our upgrade pick for the best all-foam mattress on Amazon.
- Why? The Novosbed uses high-density foams in all layers of the mattress, is available in three firmness options, and comes from a company that has been on the market longer than most of its competitors.
- Why not? The Novosbed is somewhat more expensive than other all-foam mattresses, and their sleep trial is more complicated than most.
- The Bottom Line: For customers looking for an affordable all-foam mattress built with quality materials, the Novosbed is an excellent option to consider.
Buy the Novosbed on Amazon.
Foam – Latex Hybrid
Our top choice for the best latex hybrid on Amazon is the GhostBed.
- Why? This mattress features high-density foams in all three layers. It offers a combination of memory foam and latex and comes from a company — Nature’s Sleep — that has an extended history in the mattress industry.
- Why not? The mattress is only available in one firmness option. In addition, while Nature’s Sleep has been selling mattress for over 15 years, the GhostBed has only been on the market since 2015, so we have less information about its long-term durability.
- The Bottom Line: For the price, the GhostBed uses a combination of quality materials layered in an arrangement that can be expected to provide a good night’s sleep for most customers.
Buy the GhostBed on Amazon.
Budget Pick: Brentwood Home
The Brentwood Home Avalon or Del Mar mattresses models are our budget pick for the best innerspring mattress on Amazon.
- Why? Each of these models features a thick (8”) layer of innerspring coils topped with foam and a wool cover and is sold at a reasonable price.
- Why not? There’s a lot we don’t know about the construction of these mattresses, and ideally, we’d like to know more before strongly recommending it.
- The Bottom Line: At their price point, the Brentwood Home models are a worthy option to consider if you want an affordable and straightforward innerspring mattress without bells and whistles.
Buy the Brentwood Home Avalon or the Del Mar on Amazon.
Upgrade Pick: Saatva
The Saatva mattress is our upgrade choice for the best innerspring mattress on Amazon.
- Why? The Saatva is built with excellent components, including multi-layered coils. The company also has a reputation for a high level of customer service.
- Why not? Availability on Amazon may fluctuate, and the sleep trial offered through Amazon is shorter than the trial offered from the company directly.
- The Bottom Line: While you can find innerspring mattresses out there for a much lower cost, they simply won’t deliver the kind of mattress performance offered by the Saatva.
Buy the Saatva on Amazon.
The WinkBed is our pick for the best hybrid mattress on Amazon.
- Why? The WinkBed features coil-on-coil design in addition to thin layers of soft memory foam to help create a supportive and responsive mattress.
- Why not? WinkBeds only launched in 2015, so the company does not an established track record of durability and customer service.
- The Bottom Line: There’s a lot of potential benefit from a well-designed coil-on-coil type of hybrid mattress, and the WinkBed offers this along with some of the comfort benefits of foam.
Buy the Winkbed on Amazon.
The best all-latex mattress on Amazon is the Sleep On Latex Pure Green Mattress.
- Why? The Pure Green Mattress is built with natural latex that gets excellent reviews for its performance. The company also offers several different options for mattress height and firmness.
- Why not? Sleep On Latex doesn’t provide quite as much detail about the mattress specifications as we would like. For example, they do not list the density or ILD of the latex used in their mattress.
- Bottom Line: Even without knowing every detail of the build of this mattress, we can safely say that it includes a considerable amount of high-performance latex at a price that is a fraction of what these types of mattresses are often sold for.
Buy the Sleep On Latex Pure Green on Amazon.
Why Buy On Amazon?
There are a number of reasons why shoppers consider buying a mattress on Amazon, from price to shipping. Here are the main factors why buying your bed from Amazon is appealing:
- Amazon has simplified the shopping experience. By making product searching, reviewing, purchasing, and delivery easy, Amazon offers a no-hassle process for finding and buying what you need.
- Shoppers go to Amazon first is because of Amazon Prime. This program offers free 2-day shipping on thousands of products to people who pay an annual membership fee to join the program. Many mattresses are available with this quick and free shipping through Amazon Prime.
- Shoppers enjoy the huge selection. Because they sell products directly and also allow third parties to sell through the site, customers can view a wide range of products on Amazon. Compared to most mattress sites online — where a customer can only view one mattress or a few mattresses made by one company — Amazon allows shoppers to peruse an extensive selection and to apply filters to their search to help narrow down their options.
- Amazon’s reputation for being customer-centric. Their customer service teams are known for working hard to resolve complaints and to quickly follow up on any known issues.
- Credit card rewards. Amazon also offers credit card options that can enhance reward points and provide introductory offers such as free gift cards. These inducements often bring shoppers to Amazon any time they are considering an online purchase.
What To Know When Mattress Shopping on Amazon
Buying a mattress through Amazon has some important differences from buying a mattress directly from the website of a mattress company. There are also aspects of the shopping experience that are unique to Amazon. In this section, we’ll offer some reminders, tips, and tricks to help you optimize your mattress-buying process on Amazon.
- Sleep trials and returns have different terms: when you buy a mattress online directly from the company that makes it, you almost always get several months to try out the mattress in your home and if you don’t like it, return it to the company for little or no charge. But this is usually different on Amazon. For most mattresses purchased through Amazon, the entire return process is handled by Amazon itself. This means that the purchase is subject to Amazon’s customer satisfaction guarantee, which lasts for only 30 days. In addition, any returns would have to be coordinated with Amazon rather than with the mattress company itself. Because a sleep trial can be such an effective way to find out if a mattress is right for you, we encourage you to check with Amazon and with the mattress company about the specific terms and conditions before purchasing your new mattress through Amazon.
- Prices may vary: prices for products on Amazon can fluctuate significantly both in real-time and over the long-term. This can occur for many reasons: retailers may change pricing in response to demand, different third party sellers may offer the same products at different prices, and shipping costs and options may change the total price. Before buying a mattress on Amazon, you should check the cost (including any coupons or promotions) of buying the mattress directly from the mattress company.
- Check out the seller: when you are buying a product on Amazon.com, it is important to see who the actual seller of the product is. In some cases, it’s Amazon itself. Often, especially with mattresses, it’s the company who makes the product. There are also other third-party sellers who sell products through Amazon’s platform. If you’re buying from a third party, make sure to carefully consider their track record, rating, and terms and conditions for things like returns and shipping.
- Availability may vary: as with prices, product availability on Amazon can change quite quickly. In general, if you see the product you want at the price you like, it makes sense to act fast.
- Check delivery options: if you’re an Amazon Prime member, you’ll be able to order many products, including many mattresses, and get free 2-day shipping. If you’re not a Prime member, or if you are a Prime member looking at products not available through the Prime program, pay careful attention to the shipping options and costs. Amazon typically offers a number of delivery timeframes at different prices, and this will affect the final bottom line cost of your mattress.
- Amazon Smile: Amazon has a philanthropic program that allows for a small portion of each of your purchases to be donated to a charity of your choice. This program is called Amazon Smile, and you can learn more about it at www.smile.amazon.com.
What Types of Mattresses Are Available on Amazon?
You can read a lot more detail about the different types of mattress options that are on the market in our Buyer’s Guide, but we’ll provide a quick refresher here. You can classify almost all mattresses into the following categories:
These mattresses are built with several layers of foam, and the exact foam composition and specifications can vary. One of the most common types of foam mattress construction involves a base of support foam with one or more comfort layers on top. The comfort layers are most often composed of memory foam or another type of foam with a similar feel. Specifically, this type of comfort layer responds to the amount of pressure applied in each specific place, which helps to provide appropriate support to each part of the body.
These mattresses use coils inside the mattress to provide spring and support. This is the most traditional type of mattress, and the innerspring coils often have a slightly softer top layer, such as a pillowtop, that can provide some additional plushness or comfort. There are numerous types of innerspring construction that can affect the support and performance of an innerspring mattress.
Hybrid mattresses include elements of memory foam, innerspring coils, and/or latex. A common type of hybrid has a layer of memory foam on top of a base of innerspring coils. Another type involves a mixture of layers with support foam, latex, and memory foam. The benefits and downsides of a hybrid mattress depend in large part on the layering and materials involved in the construction of the mattress.
These mattresses are made from either natural or synthetic rubber. Latex tends to be a heavier and more expensive material, so it is not uncommon to see all-latex mattresses sell for thousands of dollars. Latex offers a high level of responsiveness, but it also tends to be bouncier and more resilient than many foams on the market.
What Are the Key Features to Look For?
When evaluating the different mattresses on Amazon, we want to apply the main features of our evaluation methodology that we use in our reviews. Below we outline some of the key features that we analyze when deciding which mattresses to suggest in this guide.
Nothing determines the performance of a mattress more than the quality of the actual components that are used to make it. You’ll come across a lot of fancy marketing terms for different features, but sometimes this is just window dressing to cover over a mattress built with shoddy internal parts. When looking at the materials, here are some questions to think through:
- Does the company provide detailed specifications? For example, do they list the actual thickness of each layer of the mattress? If it’s a foam layer, do they publicly share the density and/or ILD of the foam? If it’s an innerspring layer, do they tell you about the type of innerspring construction? The more vague the details, the more skeptical you should be that perhaps the company cut corners in choosing their materials.
- Is there a weak spot? Some mattresses may use great materials in the comfort layer but use a low-quality foam for support. Remember that one weak layer can dramatically reduce the overall performance of the mattress.
- How thick is the comfort layer? An extremely thin comfort layer may degrade the feel and performance of a mattress and may limit its long-term durability as more pressure will be put on the supporting layers. In general, look for a comfort layer that is at least 2” thick, and if you are a heavier sleeper or someone with major pressure points, you likely want an even thicker comfort layer or a combination of several comfort layers.
- Can I get more information from the manufacturer? Note that in some cases, detailed information about the mattress materials may not be available on the Amazon product page; however, these specifications may be listed on the mattress company’s website.
It’s important to consider the total cost of buying a mattress and not just the price of the mattress itself. Because mattresses are heavy, they can be expensive to ship. To be a savvy shopper, make sure you’re considering any shipping costs when comparing your mattress options. This is especially true if you need your mattress delivered within a certain timeframe, which may come with additional costs.
The firmness or feel of a mattress is a big factor in determining what is likely to be the best fit for you. We generally suggest looking for a medium-firm mattress, which is usually in the 5-7 range on the typical firmness scale. This firmness level works best for most people.
However, if you have a specific firmness preference that is higher or lower than that, make sure to look for a mattress that is offered in multiple different firmness options without a major price difference. Our Mattress Firmness Guide provides a lot more information about making sure that you select a mattress to fit your sleeping position and comfort preference.
As we’ve stated, there’s a lot of marketing that takes place in the mattress industry, and one of the best ways to cut through the noise is to only rely on trusted reviews. In the case of Amazon, we suggest giving quite a bit more weight to Verified Reviews and to be on the lookout for reviewers who have received a free mattress in exchange for their review.
Also remember that we’ve tried to do a lot of this research legwork for you, and you can read more about any specific mattress in our brand reviews.
For more helpful guides and resources to assist you in choosing a mattress, check out the following pages on our site: